Published on 12th July 2018
Reflecting back on the last 3 months, the most dominant theme continues to be talent shortages in Legal BD, Marketing & Communications.
This has been most prevalent at senior executive to middle management level with an increasing number of vacancies remaining open for over 2 months. This has been exacerbated by an increasing number of firms providing counter offers, recognising the need to retain staff in a candidate short market.
The firms that have had the greatest success in hiring have identified transferrable skills and experiences from broader professional services and/or have ensured their recruitment process is quicker, clearer, and focuses on selling the benefits of the role and the firm to the candidate.
- Received instruction on multiple exclusive roles from US firms, ranging from Coordinator to senior management level
- Placed BDM roles on a permanent & contract basis covering; Finance, TMT, Energy & Corporate.
- New opportunities created for BD professionals at management & senior management level covering; Litigation, Corporate, Real Estate, Life Sciences, Capital Markets, Project finance & roles operating firmwide.
- Operating on a number of PR, Events, Bids roles at Assistant/Executive/Coordinator level, plus 20+ BD roles at this level.
- An upturn in senior interim hiring – successfully placed Head of Marketing position on a long-term contract on top of a number of roles at manager/senior manager level.
- The Senior Executive to Management bridge has changed extensively in the last half year, with more junior candidates with limited duration of experience but proven achievements in that time frame securing roles that previously commanded double the tenure. This has made the pool for good senior executives (or equivalent level) extremely limited, as candidates are jumping to management level far more quickly than ever before in their career.
Predictions for Q3
We also anticipate job volumes for contract roles to continue to increase as the actively looking permanent candidate pool continues to shrink. In some cases, firms are also seeing the benefit of having a slightly more fluid and flexible workforce, opening more volume of roles in part-time positions or offering flexible working arrangements to accommodate the level of uncertainty and change that we’re seeing in BD & Marketing structures.
We also expect the volume of national/regional roles to increase, with some improvement on salaries and in the level and quality of roles on offer. Firms are continuing to expand their regional presence either by way of opening new resource centres which are taking on more administrative, transactional work or actually expanding their fee earner base into the regions to enable more cost-effective solutions to their clients. As a result, business development roles are becoming more regional and more senior, creating more interesting opportunities for people who are keen to escape the big smoke.
The market continues to be buoyant, with lots of great opportunities for individuals. July will continue to be busy with some vacancies still open from the previous quarter as well as a lot of newly created roles. We also expect there to be some turnover in staff as individuals go through performance and salary review processes. We tend to see August slow-down, mainly because of the holiday season, but the market tends to pick up quickly again as we head into the final quarter of the year.
Legal BD, Marketing & Communications Salaries Q3 2018
|Job Title||Permanent Salary per annum (£)||Contract Rate (£)|
|Bids / Proposals Specialists|
|Head of Bids||80K - 110K||350 - 500 per day|
|Senior Bid Manager||70K - 90K||200 - 350 per day|
|Bid Manager||50K - 70K||26 - 33 per hour|
|Senior Bid Executive||40K - 50K||21 - 26 per hour|
|Bid Executive||30K - 40K||15 - 21 per hour|
|Bid Assistant||25K - 30K||13 - 15 per hour|
|BD Director||100K+||450+ per day|
|Head of BD||75K - 140K||400 - 500 per day|
|Senior BD Manager||70K - 90K||320 - 400 per day|
|BD Manager||50K - 70K||28 - 36 per hour|
|Senior BD Executive / Coordinator / Specialist||40K - 50K||19 - 28 per hour|
|BD Executive / Coordinator||32K - 40K||15 - 21 per hour|
|BD Assistant||25K - 30K||13 - 15 per hour|
|BD Administrator||22K - 25K||11 - 13 per hour|
|Client Relationship Management /
Key Account Management
|Head of Client Relationships||100K - 130K||380 - 500 per day|
|Senior Client Relationship Manager||70K - 100K||320 - 400 per day|
|Client Relationship Manager||50K - 70K||26 - 38 per hour|
|Senior Client Relationship Executive||40K - 50K||18 - 26 per hour|
|Client Relationship Executive||30K - 40K||15 - 21 per hour|
|Head of Communications / PR (Global remit)||100K - 140K||380 - 550 per day|
|Head of Communications / PR (National or Europe remit)||70K - 100K||320 - 400 per day|
|Senior Communications Manager||70K - 95K|
|Communications / PR Manager||50K - 70K||26 - 31 per hour|
|Internal Communications Manager||50K - 65K|
|Content Manager / Publishing||50K - 60K|
|Senior Communications / PR Executive / Advisor||38K - 45K||20 - 23 per hour|
|Internal Communications Executive||30K - 40K|
|Communications / PR Executive / Advisor||30K - 35K||15 - 18 per hour|
|Communications / PR Assistant||22K - 30K||13 - 14 per hour|
|CRM Database Manager||50K - 75K||26 - 31 per hour|
|CRM Database Executive||30K - 40K||15 - 18 per hour|
|CRM Database Administrator / Assistant||25K - 28K||13 - 14 per hour|
|Studio Manager||50K - 65K|
|Senior Design Executive||35K - 45K||18 - 23 per hour|
|Design Executive||30K - 35K||15 - 18 per hour|
|Design Assistant||23K - 28K||12 - 14 per hour|
|Digital / Online / Web|
|Head of Online / Digital||70K - 120K||380 - 520 per day|
|Digital Manager / Online Manager||45K - 60K||23 - 31 per hour|
|Intranet Manager (Sharepoint)||45K - 60K|
|Social Media Executive||30K - 35K||18 - 23 per hour|
|Digital Executive||30K - 35K||15 - 18 per hour|
|Digital Assistant||25K - 28K||15 - 18 per hour|
|Head of Events||60K - 95K||380 - 250 per day|
|Events Manager||45K - 60K||23 - 31 per hour|
|Events Senior Executive||35K - 45K||18 - 23 per hour|
|Events Executive||30K - 35K||15 - 18 per hour|
|Head of Marketing / Marketing Director||90K+||400+ per day|
|Senior Marketing Manager||70K - 90K||31 - 38 per hour|
|Marketing Manager||50K - 65K||21 - 31 per hour|
|Senior Marketing Executive||40K - 45K||18 - 21 per hour|
|Marketing Executive / Coordinator||30K - 40K||14 - 18 per hour|
|Marketing Assistant||24K - 30K||13 - 14 per hour|
|Marketing Administrator||21K - 23K||11 - 13 per hour|
Notes on salary table:
- Titles and levels vary from organisation to organisation.
- The salary ranges given are only approximate guides. For tailored salary advice, please contact us directly.
- 12-month base salaries are assumed.
- All other benefits and bonuses are in addition to these figures.
- Bonus ranges can vary significantly from company to company and will be influenced by market conditions, business and individual performances.