Published on 11th July 2017
Patrick Martin is a successful Marketing Communications Manager at a leading wealth management firm. Ambition caught up with him to find out how he has progressed his career to date and what advice he would give anyone aspiring to work in Marketing & Communications.
1. Why did you choose a career in Marketing?
I'm both analytical and creative so marketing gives me an opportunity to exercise both parts of my brain. I'm also a people person and working with people is a huge part of a marketer's role.
2. What does your current role involve?
In a nutshell, my role as Marketing Communications Manager for a leading wealth management firm is to work with financial and investment advisers to develop compelling marketing communications and campaigns that leads to retaining and winning new business for my firm. This includes all areas of the marketing mix, from using digital through to traditional forms of marketing such as PR.
3. Describe a typical day?
My day varies from day-to-day, but it will often involve; meeting stakeholders, updating and developing marketing plans, writing copy, working with creatives, budgeting, gathering client insights.
4. What do you enjoy most about working in Marketing & Communications?
I love the fact that every day can be different and variety is important to me. Most importantly, I love turning something that can often be quite dry into something that engages people.
5. What advice would you give to somebody looking to pursue a career in Marketing & Communications?
- What sector of marketing you want to go into, for example, financial services is very different to FMCGs
- What discipline of marketing you want to practice e.g digital, generalist, events, communications etc.
Looking for a new challenge in Marketing & Communications? Check out our latest vacancies here >
by Mathew Reeves